The Centre for High Energy Physics at the Indian Institute of Science is dedicated
to research in the field of elementary particle physics and quantum field theory. It has
a highly accomplished world class faculty trained in these subjects.
Research is carried out in the fields of standard model physics at high precision,
beyond the standard model scenarios based on theoretical consistency and
with the aim of uncovering novel effects at ongoing and future experiments,
analysis of properties of matter under extreme conditions and revealing them in
computational studies, mathematical aspects of quantum field theory in various settings
such as string theory as well as non-commutative physics, applications
of methods developed in quantum theory in diverse settings such as condensed matter
physics as well as quantum computing, and most recently, analysis of ongoing experimental
results at the CMS experiment at CERN.
The Centre has a highly developed teaching programme of its own, training students
at the research level. It also jointly conducts the Int. Ph. D. programme with the
Department of Physics, and participates in the activities of the Undergraduate programme
of IISc. The Centre has an active visitors programme that encourages scholars from
around the country and the world to visit and collaborate with the members of the Centre.
The members of the Centre also carry out in-house activities such as seminars, journal
clubs and other discussion fora, and organize topical conferences and workshops. In
addition, they frequently lecture at national and international schools, and travel
extensively to centres of excellence across the world to carry out collaborative work
and to present their research results.
- January 2019: Prof. Justin R. David has been elected to the Fellowship of the Indian Academy of Sciences, effective from January 01, 2019.
- January 2019: Prof. Rohini Godbole is in the scientific advisory committee of the Dutch research school of theoretical physics(DRSTP).
- November 2018: Apratim Kaviraj has got the IPA Rahul Basu Memorial Award for Best Thesis in HEP for the period 2016-18.
- November 2018: Prof. Justin David is Associate Editor of `The European Physical Journal C'.
- September 2018: Prof. Rohini Godbole is Van der Waals Professor at University of Amsterdam (September -December 2018).
- September 2018: Prof. Rohini Godbole gets the 3rd term of the J.C. Bose fellowship of the DST.
- August 2018: Prof. Justin David is on the Editorial Board of `Current Science'.
- July 2018: Prof. Aninda Sinha is now an editorial board member for New Journal of Physics (2018-).
- May 2018: Is SUSY still the best bunker to hide in, in light of experimental data?, 10-12 May 2018.
- February 2018: CHEP In-House Symposium (16th and 17th February, 2018).
- November 2017: Kallol Sen has been awarded the Kumari L A Meera Memorial medal for best thesis in Theoretical Physics, IISc, 2017.
- July 2017: Brain-storming Workshop on Quantum Computation, Information, Communications and Cryptography, 22-23 July 2017.
- July 2017: Prof. B. Ananthanarayan has been selected as Series Editor for Spring-brief.
- January 2018: Prof. Rohini Godbole is advisory editor and editorial board member of Oxford research encyclopedias.
- January 2018: Prof. Rohini Godbole is a member of high energy physics advisory committee of DOE and NSF, USA.
- February 2017: CHEP In-House Symposium (4th February, 2017).
- January 2017: Prof. Rohini Godbole is a member of International advisory board, Chinese Electron positron Collider(CEPC) .
- January 2017: On 16 January 2017, India has become an Associate Member State of CERN. This follows official notification to CERN that the Government of India has completed its internal approval procedures in respect of the agreement, signed in November 2016, granting that status to the country.
- Congratulations Prof. Diptiman Sen - for getting the Rustom Choksi Award for Excellence in Research for Science given in 2016 by the Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru.
- December 2016: Looking for BSM Physics, 20-22 December 2016.
- September 2016: Congratulations Prof. Sudhir Vempati - for getting the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar award.
- ICTP congratulates the winner of its 2016 ICTP Prize: Aninda Sinha of the Center for High Energy Physics, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India.
- May 2016: Indo-French Network Project in High Energy Physics (INFRE-HEPNET) kick-off workshop, 2-5 May 2016.
- February 2016: Workshop on Quantum Physics---Foundations and Applications, 1-12 February 2016.
- January 2016: Prof. Rohini Godbole is an member of International Collider board .
- January 2016: CHEP In-House Symposium, 23-24 January 2016.